The Controversial Utah Gun Bill (HB 0600), Examined.

 


    This blog profile has mainly been about national issues, but now, we go to a local one. It was brought to my attention (read the article here) by local community activist Angel Castillo. It's on an issues that is kind of really divisive: Guns. 



The Disclaimer:


For the record: I am a hardcore gun rights advocate, unequivocally. Banning any type of weapons has my opposition, as well as restrictions on gun ownership, on the grounds that it will not solve the underlying problems that proponents claim it will solve, I'll explain more in a moment.


    As I said to her as I prepared to write this, there is a compromise I could accept to resolve her concerns regarding the bill.


    My interpretation of the second amendment is not a "muskets for militias only" type, it's a "militia member or not, you have the right to carry." Disagree or disagree, that's where I stand. 


What's Going On?


The Utah House of Represenatives is considering HB 0600 (House Bill), crafted by Represenative Walt Brooks (R-St. George), which would remove the concealed carry permit requirement to own a gun. It passed the appropriate legislative committee by a party line vote of 8-3.


“We do need to go back to trusting our law abiding citizens,” Brooks said. “They are responsible. No matter if you have a permit or not, you are not removed from accountability for how you use that weapon.”


    I have to agree with Mr. Brooks, the consequences of misusing a gun have consequences, some permanent. (An anecdote here), I've been handling guns since I was eleven (with adult supervision, in an appropriate environment, of course), and my father always taught me to treat a gun as if it were loaded. When it comes to gun control advocates (or those who simply want more restrictions in place, I'll let them define themselves, to be fair to them), there is a strong tone of distrust from them about people doing the right thing and taking safety courses. (Just so we are clear, I'm not accusing anyone of acting in bad faith). As Rep. Nelson Abbott (R-Orem) argued:


Some of the words that have been used today are ‘lazy’ or ‘irresponsible’ people and I don't think we as lawmakers ought to look at the citizens of the state of Utah that way,” he said. “I certainly don't look at my constituents in that way. I think my constituents are responsible people. And if they're allowed to carry a concealed weapon without a permit, I fully expect and anticipate that they will do so responsibly.


    I (and many gun rights advocates) have often said that gun ownership is a big responsibility, that no one should take lightly. I know someone who was once shot in the neck (by accident) due to a young relative finding a gun that was not properly stored and got ahold of the gun. The individual survived, and is a wonderful person. (That anecdote aside), I absolutely endorse responsible gun ownership.


    Rep. Brooks' attempted to get this bill enacted in 2013, under then-Governor Gary R. Herbert (R-American Fork), but Gov. Herbert vetoed it. He once said in 2018:


"I don't know that there's any reason to have anything more than a seven- or nine-shot magazine. Once you get past a typical size when you go out hunting, you're probably having excess baggage you don't need."


    Well, Governor, that's not up for you to decide an arbitrary number. In fact, a lot of arguments about "you don't need X" or "the framers never intended for this to apply to everyone", gets us into the weeds and away from where the conversation started. I'll happly debate those points in the comment section of this post if necessary.


What Is The Law, Currently? And A Look At The Data.


    Well, gun owners have to submit copies of their fingerprints and take a “firearms familiarity course.” That requirement would go away if the Legislature passes Brooks’ bill. Tory Peters, state director for March For Our Lives Utah, was concerned, especially because those required courses include information about suicide prevention:


    “The critical training provided in the concealed carry permit process about safe gun storage, handling and suicide prevention would be lost if this bill is passed, compromising the safety of the individuals in our communities,” Peters said. “Many responsible gun owners will continue to take the training, but what about the irresponsible and lazy gun owners?”


    My response would be a jaded (but arguably justified) one:


    That's on them. If they cause someone harm through their recklessness, then prosecute them to the fullest extant of the law. And keep doing so until the message is sent. Legislating morality is an appealing idea, but it so far has no real effect. A study from the RAND corporation found that the impact from easing concealed permit laws is inconclusive in the area of suicide.





    I use this as my reason to strongly oppose gun regulations. Not because I don't care about human life (I care about it deeply, and have a long list of ideas of protecting it, but that's another contoversial piece for another time), but because many of the regulations on that list do not have the evidence to back it up, nor do they have anything beyond "limited" labeled on, as seen above.


Can There Be A Compromise?


    Angel's post (for context):

"I’m all for responsible gun ownership πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ , which is why I *OPPOSE* Utah HB 0600.

✅ House Bill HB0060 that would allow any Utah citizen to carry a concealed weapon
WITHOUT a permit,
WITHOUT a criminal background check.
WITHOUT any firearm training, which includes suicide prevention training.
✅ To obtain a concealed weapon permit the buyer is fingerprinted and photographed, and that information is entered into a state database. The fingerprints are checked for past criminal records.
🚨 If HB0600 passes, all of those checks and balances would be stopped. 🚨
✅ HB0600 would make it illegal for law enforcement officers to confiscate a weapon from any Utah citizen during a government declared "state of emergency" ~
such as a "mask mandate" or "travel restrictions", or "quarantine restrictions", or a "curfew".
HB0060 got the green light from a legislative committee last night (Friday) after 2 hours of debate. It passed 8-3 along party lines.
🚨 Missouri passed a similar bill and it led to a sharp increase in teen suicides by handguns - in 2018 every 4 days a young person died by suicide via firearm. 🚨
I strongly oppose this bill.
✅ Look up your legislators here: : https://le.utah.gov/GIS/findDistrict.jsp
Email/call/text (let them know you are their CONSTITUENT, and tell them to “Vote NO” on HB0600"


    The compromises would be in the forms of line item vetoes (from the Governor), or amendments (from the Legislature:

  1. The criminal background check can stay.
  2. Firearm training (especially suicide prevention) can stay.
    The removal of the permit is fine, and preventing the state from taking your weapons during a state of emergency is fine for the following reasons:

  1. Permits are not always the best indicators of someone being qualified, and if you have recieved the appropriate training, it is an unnecessary thing.
  2. The state will likely not have a good reason to take your weapons during a state of emergency. I'm not sure why Angel mentioned anything related to COVID-19, but I'm sure she had a reason to mention that.

    If she (or anyone else) can think of any other compromises, I'll entertain them. If no compromises were to emerge, I can support this legislation, on the principle of opposing gun regulations that do not reduce crime, or keep people safe, but I am willing to make some compromises, in good faith, that don't go too far. Ciao.






Follow me on Twitter: @SkylerSatterfi1

Support the blog: paypal.me/SManSpeaks

Comments